Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Updates

We haven't posted in awhile because things have been busy! I am trying to keep Pax on a homeschool schedule and not fill our time home with too many extras. I will admit, this has been a challenge for me. I am thankful that the months ahead will force me to stay home more because I have never been one who likes to be out in the cold or the snow.

I could share all about our recent adventures with school but I will let the pictures do the talking. Have a great week everyone!

I have shared many times how much Pax has been thriving in his math assignments. Most of the time he only asks for my help if he doesn't understand what the assignment is asking him to do. Otherwise, this kid is able to maneuver any problem including writing the numbers without getting them out of order.


The first picture shows what happens when Pax doesn't feel like writing. He missed a word, placed his "S" backwards, and didn't stay on the lines. I talked to him about the importance of writing a sentence correctly and legibly and picture two shows much improvement.

Speaking of writing, the assignments in science are usually lengthy in their answers and the worksheets remind parents that they can write it for their children as long as the children are answering the questions. For the past few weeks, I have been encouraging Pax to write them instead of me doing it for him. I love giving him extra writing practice and I think it reinforces what he is learning when he has to speak it out loud and write it.

 One of our history books is "I Heard The Good News Today" which chronicles various missionary experiences throughout history. At first I loathed reading this book because the chapters are long and they never kept Pax's interest for very long. After reading over twenty stories about missionaries, it is now one of our favorite books to read!
And Pax made history yesterday by going with me to vote. This is actually his second time going with me and I loved using this experience to talk with him about the importance of exercising my voting rights as a citizen. He even made the Channel 20 news for voter selfies!


And finally, we are into our 14th week of homeschool! as I looked down in my notes section of my curriculum, this note was waiting for me. It reads:

The adventure continues! Look over the past 13 weeks and see how many books you have read, think over all of the discussions you have had with your children, and think about all of the opportunities you have had to influence your children's worldview. Priceless!

I loved seeing this because it reminded me that this journey is priceless and I wouldn't trade it for anything! 








No comments:

Post a Comment