Saturday, June 7, 2014

A Recap of the First Week

After hearing back from so many about Pax's first day, I think I should explain myself a little bit more about why I chose to jump into home educating in June instead of waiting until the traditional time of August. Paxton has attended a child care center from the time he was a baby until my last day of work. At the center, he was learning so much and being challenged and encouraged constantly. I did not want him to lose that constant growth in his developmental milestones so I decided to slowly integrate the curriculum into our summer and keep him at the pace he had been used to.

For example, the curriculum is broken down into 4-5 day weeks and what I have decided to do is take week one and cover it over the course of two weeks. This past week, we covered some basics like math, reading, memory verse, music, etc while next week we will cover history, science, spelling, and writing. Make sense? He isn't overwhelmed with school work, I assure you. We are taking it slow and just finding our groove! 

That being said, we had a wonderful first week, full of family and fun! Take a look at all of the things we did this week- and yes, we are all tired and ready to enjoy a nice, relaxing weekend at home! (And I need to buy more coffee!)

 Tuesday was pretty hot so we decided to enjoy most of our activities outside. Pax really enjoyed riding his bike up and down our street.
 After we played outside at home, we went over to my sister's house for a play date. We brought ice deli and the boys enjoyed an afternoon of swimming!
When we got home, I needed to work in the garden before the big storm came, so Pax played in his own kiddie pool while I got rid of some pesky weeds.
After spending our first two days doing school work at the dining room table, we finally worked in the office and Pax loved being at his own desk. 
 Thursday was spent visiting my Grandma, who will be 96 in August! Our second cousins also came for the visit and we all talked about our German history and my Dad's recent visit to our family's original hometown of Zetel, Germany.
 We also decided to visit the park while the family talked and Pax had a blast getting out some of his energy!
We ended the day making silly selfies!
 The one thing that has been a constant this week has been our reading time. Pax is obsessed with the Boxcar Children book and I think we will probably read the entire series! Our reading list only required five chapters this week and we are on chapter ten! Proud mom moment!
Friday was the most relaxing of all. We went to visit Grandpa Ayers for the morning and spent our afternoon just hanging out at home! We only did some light reading on Friday and some math. Next week, we will explore the second half of our first week's curriculum!




No comments:

Post a Comment