Monday, June 2, 2014

Day One

Many have asked me why I decided to homeschool in June instead of waiting until August like a normal school year. My simplest answer is why not? Pax has been in an early educational setting since infancy and I was concerned that he might not adjust to homeschool if I gave him a summer break without routine.

And so we began the homeschool journey today. Let me just say that it was one of the best days I've had as Pax's mom! He couldn't have made the first experience in home educating any easier or more exciting and after experiencing today, I know that we are going to have so much fun learning together.

Here are a few pictures of what we did today...

Our morning started out with a Bible lesson, learning our memory verse and a song to help us remember it, reading about dinosaurs from our Usborne Encyclopedia, and a math lesson. Pax and I counted in English and Spanish for fun because he learned how to count in Spanish in his Pre-K class.

After taking a short break from our studies, we decided it was time to research the snails we acquired over the weekend. We made a web and asked questions about what we wanted to learn that related to snails. Today we investigated what snails like to eat. Most of the items on the list had already been given to the snails but we hadn't tried bananas like they suggested. Let's just say snails LOVE bananas.
Don't worry, it wasn't all work for us. We took another break to have a hexbug war. Pax set up the perimeter and he and I created videos of our battles. His bugs won, of course!


After lunch, we worked on the language and literature portion of our day. We really enjoyed chapter one of the Boxcar Children series and have decided these books will be a favorite on our reading list.

After we were done with our lessons for the day, I let Pax choose what activity we would do next. He thought we should head outside to check out the garden and look for bugs. We looked for worms but none were out today. It started to sprinkle so we decided to head back inside but not before we caught two bugs and his Dad helped catch a giant moth. Pax took the two small bugs inside to look them over and place them in specimen containers.

So without hesitation, I can truly say that we had one exciting and productive homeschool day!





No comments:

Post a Comment