Monday, June 9, 2014

First Field Trip- Illinois State Museum

My friend Brittany and her children came to town for a visit and we talked about going to the museum together this week with our children. After checking the www.springfieldmoms.org website, I noticed that the museum had a story time the second Monday of every month. And so we spent our first field trip at the Illinois State Museum and we had so much fun! I'll let the pictures do the talking.

We walked in just in time for the first story. The theme of today's story time was about exercise and nutrition. We learned about fruits and vegetables and we also read a few books about moving our bodies and exercising.
I wish I could say that story time was a complete success, but Paxton acted shy and reluctant when other kids got up to do the movements in the books. 
Once we moved on to the play area, Pax perked up! He was fascinated by all of the bug and nature exhibits and he was all over the place looking at the creepy crawly things! (A little more on that in a bit)
He loved the touch screen computer where he could look up bugs of all kinds. We read about cicadas, roaches, ants, and stink bugs. 
Like I said in the opening paragraph, we had Brittany and her two children join us for the trip. In this picture, Silas and Pax are having fun at the word wall. Silas tried and successfully repeated almost all of my words. Did I mention this kiddo isn't even two yet? And not pictured, was Teddy, who let me get a baby fix and snuggle him for the majority of the play area visit. He melted my heart! 
And last but not least, the topic of the day- the beetle Pax found when we first got to the museum and was on his mind throughout the duration of the trip. I had to feed the meter so Pax came with me and I let him sneak the beetle in. He inspected it under the awesome microscope they have in the discovery area.

Overall, our play date and first field trip was a huge success! Stay tuned for a post later this week about our trip to the zoo-weather permitting! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment