Thursday, June 19, 2014

Learning in the Kitchen

This week has been our most relaxed week yet and I have to say that I am okay with that! I haven't felt the greatest because I get migraines and they often take more than a day to get over. Today was the first day I really felt like myself again, even though my head still hurt a little. I wanted Pax and I to do something fun indoors because of the heat so we decided to have a cooking day.

If you have a sweet tooth like we do, you might want to look at my friend Anita's blog. http://anitakushwaha.wordpress.com/
She is a writer and a baker. I was so excited to try one of her recipes this morning and I must say, our baking adventure was a huge success! After careful consideration, Pax and I decided we wanted to try out the Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes. I will link the recipe we used at the end of this post- you will be craving these before you finish reading!

Most of my baking is done in the winter so we needed to make a trip to Target to get ingredients. (Thankfully, we already had a shopping list to buy other things because I hate driving on the west end during the day-busy, busy, busy.)
Paxton was a big help right from the start. He helped mix, measure, put things away, and taste test. We really focused on the measure spoons and cups and compared sizes. This recipe calls for 1/4tsp, 1/2tsp, 1tsp, 1/2c, 1c. Pax really concentrated on how we measured things and wanted to make sure I didn't add too much of anything.(learning math, sensory, and science in this one experience!)
Pax's favorite taste test was the chocolate chips while mine was the pumpkin puree. Yes, I am weird. LOL. 
Though not pictured, our icing was homemade too. I don't have an electric mixer so I got my workout in trying to smooth out the cream cheese chunks. LOL. 
I am happy to say this recipe was Paxton approved! I ate one too and absolutely loved it! We are going to serve our cupcakes to my best friend Misty who is stopping by later for a visit. Our baking adventure was a success and it won't be our last! You can find Anita's recipe here:


No comments:

Post a Comment