Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Taking a Day Off From Curriculum and Learning Through Experience

After spending nearly two weeks doing bits of homeschool curriculum, I decided we needed a break. We planned to meet some friends and head over to the Henson Robinson Zoo but after looking at the weather forecast, we decided not to take the chance and stay in for the day.

As Pax watched a show called Monster Math Squad on Netflix, we heard a knock on the door and it was our friend Sarah. She stayed for some coffee and I was grateful for a little adult conversation during the day. (I am learning as a SAHM that talking to an adult during the day becomes an instant luxury and one that doesn't happen often when most of my friends work outside of the home.) No sooner did Sarah leave and my friend Nicole came over with her daughter Elise. (She was supposed to join us at the zoo but agreed to cancel with potential weather changes) And as soon as they left, we heard a third knock and my sister stopped by with her kids.

Needless to say, I picked the perfect day not to do any school work and we welcomed our visitors and really enjoyed the company. Did we learn anything today besides the value of companionship? Of course we did! When you have a four year old, you are learning something new every day. Take a look at what else happened today after our visitors left:

Paxton thought it would be fun to talk about spiders today. We got out the little spider book my Grandpa Moore had in his library (and I inherited) and talked about different spiders Pax wanted to see. I am sure this was the highlight of his day and probably the least favorite part of mine, although I loved the cuddle time while looking at the pictures.
Just before my husband got off work, I received a text message from him asking me to have Pax ready and be waiting outside. He wanted to take us to Chuck E. Cheese. As we waited for Donnie to pick us up, we could see little tiny living things swimming around in Pax's bucket. We both came to the conclusion that they were tadpoles but later discovered via the internet (and per my husband's suggestion) that they were tiny baby mosquitoes. GROSS! 
We picked the perfect time to visit Chuck E. Cheese because we pretty much had the place to ourselves, aside from about three other families. Donnie and I love playing the games as much as Pax does so it was a win/win situation for all! We had some great family time too!
And then we ended the evening doing something we love- going to church. Pax belted out the songs and even answered a question right and got a prize from the treasure chest! I love watching him learn Godly songs, memory verses, and stories about creation. 

Did we learn today? Absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment